Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Book Review: The High King's Tomb

Book Title: The High King's Tomb
Author: Kristen Britain
Genre: Fantasy
Length: 642

Quality Rating: 6
Content Rating: PG-13

The High King's Tomb
is a set up book, pure and simple. It's trying to get the reader somewhere, and its not always exciting for the reader to come along. However, because I loved the characters, I kept reading. This book jumped between more characters than the previous books have been known to do, which sometimes made it frustrating. On the other hand, it brought back characters that I thought were pointless in the first book, proving me wrong. (Shocking, I know, but it happens). All in all, I enjoyed reading this third book and seeing how Karigan develops and deals with the complexities that have been added to her life. She also discovers new facets of herself, that drew me in. These facets have to play into what is eventually going to be an epic finale that I can't wait for.

Karigan is grown up, so the story deals with more grown-up issues. Generally, the entire story is PG. However, a stay at a brothel brings up issues about sexuality and sexual preferences that some parents may not feel that their younger readers are ready for. Karigan also struggles with her own feelings about a man, bringing more romantic thoughts to her mind than the past books have. However, the content is all still very mild. Just be aware, that reading this book might bring up questions with younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment