Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Nomenclature

As an engineer, I have a tendency to use a lot of acronyms. Where I work is even worse. You can’t follow meetings unless you know all the acronyms because people utter sentences like this: “We just put out a RFP for the ECS system. LDEs can find it on ddms and hopefully it will come in before the SSRR.” Needless to say, my first couple of weeks at my job were filled with confusion.

To ease your confusion, today I am providing a list of acronyms and abbreviations I tend to use. In the future I will make sure I link all acronyms and abbreviations back to this page for your easy reference. There will be both engineer and writer acronyms.

I will add to this list as I think of other acronyms or use other acronyms.

Without further ado:

ACS Attitude Control System
ADS Attitude Determination System
ADCS Attitude Determination and Control System
AE Aerospace Engineer(ing)
CD&H Command & Data Handling
CDR Critical Design Review
CEE Civil and Environmental Engineer(ing)
ChemE Chemical Engineer(ing)
COMM Telecommunications System
CS Computer Science/Scientist
ECE Electrical and Computer Engineer(ing)
ECS Environmental Control System
EPS Electrical Power System
FCR Flight Competition Review
GPS Global Positioning System
KSC Kennedy Space Center
LDE Lead Design Engineer
MC Main Character
ME Mechanical Engineer(ing)
MG Middle Grade
MSE Material Science Engineer(ing)
NASA National Aeronautics and Space Administration
NRE Nuclear and Radiological Engineer
PM Project Manager
PSE Project Systems Engineer
RFP Request for Proposal
SF Science Fiction
SF/F Science Fiction/Fantasy
SSRR Subsystem Requirement Review
WIP Work in Progress
YA Young Adult

Sorry about the lack of appropriate formatting. I need to brush up on my html.

No comments:

Post a Comment