Monday, January 31, 2011

A Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Contemporary YA
Length: 372

Quality Rating: 8
Content Rating: PG-13

I don't usually read romance novels, YA or otherwise, but Anna and the French Kiss is about an Atlantan in Paris. As an Atlantan who spent a semester in France, I couldn't really resist--and I'm glad I didn't. This debut novel was addicting. I simply couldn't put it down. I fell in love with Etienne St. Clair, though honestly who wouldn't. Minus his one huge flaw (he has a girlfriend--which is revealed at the very beginning so not giving anything away here), he's too perfect. I mean the boy is a British French American. He's handsome with a British accent and a bright future. What teenage girl wouldn't want that? The big flaw helps make St. Clair a little more realistic. Without it, I probably would have not enjoyed the book as much, for no one should be perfect. Anna, our MC, also isn't perfect. Through the book she does more than crush on St. Clair. She explores Paris, has problems with her parents, her brother, her best friend. She learns and grows. In the end she is a different person from the beginning--regardless of whether any romance happens with St. Clair. And really that's what I look for in a romance. That our MC at the end isn't some sappy, ready to kill herself Juliet, but is instead a strong woman--strong with or without the guy.

Honestly, it's been a very long time since I enjoyed a romance book this much, YA or otherwise. And I highly recommend it.

This book gets a PG-13 rating for some intense romance. Definitely not a middle school book. However, there is no sex, for parents who might be concerned about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment